From its beginning as just an idea in 2003, The Crooked Road has helped draw national and international attention to one of Southwest Virginia's richest assets - its authentic heritage music. A lot has been accomplished since 2003. Some notable examples include:
- The annual 9-day, region-wide Mountains of Music Homecoming celebration of communities throughout Southwest Virginia
- Highway Route Marked with Signage (330 miles) & Over 26 Wayside Kiosks Installed
- General Assembly Designation as Virginia's Heritage Music Trail
- Worldwide media recognition
- New York Times (including the Times of India)
- Smithsonian Magazine (over 6.9 million readers)
- USA Today and others.
- "2010 Dozen Distinctive Destinations in the US"- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Valuable publications - "A Guide to The Crooked Road" and "A Treasury of American Music" CD of 50 current artists, and the annual Crooked Road Visitor Guide
- Traditional Music Education Program to help youth and adults access the heritage music
- Over $13 million in economic impact in Southwest Virginia in 2008 alone
Though a lot has been achieved there are still many exciting opportunities that lie ahead. The potential for The Crooked Road to continue creating opportunities for communities, venues, musicians, visitors and others is pretty much wide open. Future goals include increasing visitation to the region, new recordings and publications promoting this amazing music, additional educational opportunities at schools and colleges, and ventures not even conceived of yet.
It is my hope that you will want to help turn these goals into reality by becoming a financial supporter of The Crooked Road. For this purpose, we have created The Crooked Road Believers program to allow individuals who believe in the mission of The Crooked Road to help contribute to its success. As a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation, your financial contribution to The Crooked Road is tax deductible. Contributions can be made online or mailed to The Crooked Road, One Heartwood Circle, Abingdon, VA 24210.
I am extremely proud of the musical heritage we have in Southwest Virginia, and proud too of the way we have worked together as a region to celebrate that heritage for the benefit of all. I look forward to having your financial support as we move toward the future and all the possibilities it brings.